The earth's but a point of the world, and a man
Is but the point of the earth's compared center.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Catching Up a Few Years

It's been a long time since I posted on this blog, and I won't try to completely catch up on events.  A lot has happened.

I held a one-year faculty appointment at UNT.  After my term as "Professor Gatlin" in the Department of Technical Communications was complete, before I had time to really look around for something else, I was asked just before the Fall semester 2015 to take a couple of first-year writing classes in the Department of English as an adjunct professor.  Since this was a different curriculum and different textbooks, I agreed thinking that I'd teach the first half twice before taking classes for the second half.
Where my thinking was not clear was that in the "off" semester, there are fewer sections of the first half of first-year writing, and there was no section available for me to teach.  That was okay with me, because I really didn't think I was doing so well with the English writing curriculum, after my more satisfying experiences with the Tech Comm equivalent.

So about the time I started looking for something new (insurance coverage was drawing to a close, and COBRA looked expensive), I got a call from a highly placed executive from my former employer (see the earlier postings about getting fired for "tardiness" after 33-1/2 years).  She told me my name had come up in a meeting about a problem, as a possible solution.  She wondered if I would be interested in doing some work along the lines of my former job.

Everything came together on this fairly quickly in HR terms, and I am now employed by a contract house at my former aerospace employer.  All the unfriendly faces of the past are gone, and a few of the old friendly ones are still there, along with the new friendly faces.  They have already extended the original term for which they estimated they would need my help, so it looks like I'll continue to be employed there (well compensated) at least several months into the New Year.  Which I am going to refer to as ...

THE YEAR OF POETRY

By that term I mean that I'm going to be making a special effort to read, study, post, and maybe even compose more poetry this year.  I'll be posting about what I'm reading, or at least that's the plan.  Check by and see how it goes!

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Glad to hear the job situation has been restored to something approaching normalcy. I always try to read a fair amount of poetry. I think I read more in 2016 than in most previous years.